Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day: Nutella Cupcakes

My friend E wanted to surprise his wife on their 10th anniversary (which lined up with Valentine's Day AND his birthday!). He asked if I could do 10 Nutella, as a nod to their 10th and 2 red velvet. It just so happened that I had another order for red velvet and it would work out perfectly.

I have only ever made Nutella cream cheese frosting, not an actual Nutella cake. I had previously avoided it as the recipe I have filed away was gluten free. Time for some experimenting!

First pass, I followed the recipe as closely as possible, replacing all the flours with cake flour. This yielded a tasty cake, chock full of Nutella flavor with a hint of coffee. But it was on the dry side. I may have also forgotten the baking soda and added it at the very end, potentially overbeating the batter. My second pass, increased the milk substantially but kept everything else the same. Mission accomplished! I had a tasty and moist cake.

Nutella cupcakes, Nutlla cream cheese frosting, and garnished with Milka hazelnut milk chocolate.


Nutella Cupcakes
(adapted from Tartlette)
Yields: ~15-18 cupcakes

1/2 c + 1 tbsn unsalted butter (room temperature)
1/3 cup light brown sugar (could increase this or add granulated sugar for a sweeter cake)
1 package of Starbucks VIA instant coffee (it's about 1/2 tbsn)
1 cup milk
1/4 cup Nutella
2 large eggs
1 cup sifted cake flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
 pinch of salt

Preheat the oven to 350F.

Mix together the dry ingredients and set aside.
Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
Add eggs (one at a time), Nutella, coffee and milk, separately. Beating well after each addition.  
Mix in dry ingredients on low speed until smooth.
Bake 20-25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment