Saturday, November 13, 2010

What's up doc?


I've never been a carrot cake fan. I know, how can I not like carrot cake? It's a cult favorite. I think it's because I had bad carrot cake once and I was scarred for life. Most people like really sugary frostings, the cream cheese icing is heavy handed with the sugar. I also remember the cake I tried was dense, hard, and flavorless. So now you know where I'm coming from.

I was talking with a colleague about what type of frosting would go best with his carrot cake. I recommend the mascarpone/cream cheese frosting that I use on the pumpkin cupcakes. He wasn't too sure about it's ability to hold up. I told him that I would experiment with his cake recipe and my frosting and report back.

W.O.W. I know love carrot cake. I apologize for not having taken pictures, it just disappeared before I remembered to document it.

Carrot cake (adapted from colleauge):
2 c sugar
1/2 c + 1/3 c cooking oil
1/2 c applesauce
4 eggs

Mix/beat together in 1 qt bowl until well blended and sugar is dissolved.

2 c sifted flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt

Mix together, in separate bowl, then gradually add to sugar mixture, stirring until thoroughly blended.

3 c grated carrots (about 3 carrots)
1/2 to 1 c finely chopped walnuts (adjust to your taste)

Fold into mixture and pour into greased & floured pans. Will make layer cake or enough for 9x13 pan. I used 2 9"in cake rounds and only covered the bottom using parchment paper. Baked at 350 F for 45 minutes, but you might want to scale down the bake time and check it. (Mine was completely done at 45 min. I was afraid it would be dry, but the cake came out super moist.)

Colleauges notes: I like to use butter in the pan and I mix a bit of cinnamon into the flour in cup then flour the pans with that mixture. Bake in preheated 350° oven for ~45 min or until done. (depends on your oven)

No comments:

Post a Comment