Monday, June 28, 2010

Traveling Cupcakes

A couple of weeks ago, I traveled to Folsom, CA to celebrate my friend's wedding. It was a great opportunity to see close friends that I hadn't seen in awhile too. Most of them drool over all the cupcake pictures that I post, but haven't had a chance to feast on them. I took the initiative and came up with a robust recipe that would travel well, not require refrigeration, and be allowed on a plane via hand carry. 

I actually called the airport security and asked if I needed to check frosting in my luggage or if I could just carry it on board. I was told that the only way that I could transport my cupcakes is if they were dry, aka, no frosting and no filling. BAH! As it turns out, everyone at the airport (ticket counter and security) told me that I could have with absolutly no issues! Lesson learned. Next time I won't pay $25 to check a ziplock bag of frosting. 

This batch of cupcakes traveled pretty far: from Massachusetts to California and then from California to Texas! I brought so many that we didn't eat them all. One of the guys took the left overs home to his wife. I heard she ate a few on the car ride home from the airport.

Vanilla and orange zest cake and orange-vanilla buttercream frosting (in the baggie).

No comments:

Post a Comment