Monday, June 28, 2010

Boston Cream Pie

I won't blame you if you stop reading right now. I completely forgot to take pictures of this creation before we ate it.

For Jake's birthday this year, I decided to make a Boston Cream Pie. He LOVES Boston Cream donuts from Dunkin's. I kicked it up a notch by adding orange zest to the pastry cream. I stole this idea from Sweets. We tried their Boston Cream Pie cupcake once and have not stopped raving about it. Seriously, if you are in Boston or Cambridge, go get yourself one.

A few learnings: Joy of Baking has a recipe for Boston Cream Pie. Use the recipe for the sponge cake, but skip the recipe for pastry cream. Instead, use Martha Stewart's vanilla cream recipe. Martha uses this recipe in her version of the Boston Cream Pie cupcakes.

For the chocolate glaze, I cheated (I was lazy!) and used canned forsting. Just heat it up in the microwave and pour over cake. Done!

No comments:

Post a Comment