Saturday, May 8, 2010

Banana Chiffon Cake FAIL

As a kid, I never really celebrated my brithday; it was just another day. But the one thing my parents did do every year was get me a Banana Bavarian Cake from Kienows (until they went out of business). This year I decided to bring back the tradition, by baking one for myself.

I'm not entirely sure where I went wrong, but the cake didn't come out light, airy, and fluffy like it's supposed to. I watched it rise in the oven really well, but then it deflated. Just imagine a failed souffle, that was my cake. There's something about the flavor of the cake that was off too, I just can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe the bananas weren't ripe enough. Maybe the batter was too thin. Maybe it's because I omitted the xanthum gum this time around. Maybe my baking soda and baking powder are inactive. Maybe it was the cake strips that I used, but those are supposed to help with heat distribution!

I must say, I did do a fantastic job leveling out the whipped cream frosting on the sides and top of the cake, but there is far too much frosting on the sides as you can see in the picture below. I need to be careful when using my extra large icing tool.


It's not the first time I've made the recipe, so I'm quite perplexed. I'll just have to try it again

No comments:

Post a Comment