Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Konditermeister watch out!

Konditermeister is a local bakery well known for its cakes, especially their wedding cakes. I'm not sure how I knew about this place when I youngen' back in Oregon, but I heard of it. I seriously thought it was a myth. But its a real place! I haven't been, but I have had a few tastes of their cakes. Let me tell you, their buttercream is superb. It's light and not overly sweet. I had a taste of one of their cakes recently and made up my mind to try and recreate it.

Enter swiss buttercream. Swiss buttercream is a meringue based frosting. The buttercream you see on store bought cakes is American buttercream (sugar/shortening/milk). My first attempt turned out well. It was a super thick consistency, but then again it was cold to the touch. Perhaps if I left it out at room temp for a couple of hours, it'd thin out a bit. My only complaint is that it was still too sweet for my tastes. I reduced the amount of sugar in my second batch. I think it turned out really well.

With no further ado, I present my latest creation (kinda boring if you ask me)...

Vanilla Cupcakes:

Is it me or does the frosting on the left look whiter? I got tired after trying to flatten out the frosting and rolling the edge in sugar after I did half a dozen. I switched to the swirl and just sprinkled the sugar on top. It turned out ok.


No comments:

Post a Comment